Many of us love fruits, but we are not aware of many details about them. Here are some less known facts about some fruits.
As most of us know fruits are excellent sources of minerals, vitamins and many other health-friendly substances. Many of us use fruits on a daily basis. But, we use them without understanding some facts about them. For instance, many of us feel that strawberries are berries. But, they are not berries. On the other hand, we never thought that a banana is a berry fruit. But, it is.
Here are some interesting facts to know about the fruit that will keep your doctor away:
- Do you know that apples sold in the US market, can be a year old?
- Not just apples, but raspberries, and peaches belong to the rose family.
- Humans share nearly 50% of their DNAs with bananas
- The stickers that you find in bananas and apples are edible in nature.
- Bananas are slightly radio-active by nature
- Banana belongs to the family of berries
- Genetic diversity is the important aspect that decides the longevity of species. But, this is something that is absent in bananas.
- Every single Cavendish Banana, irrespective of where it is grown and where it originates from is genetically identical.
- Just try putting some grapes in the microwave for a few minutes. You know what will happen? They will explode.
- Grapefruits can create life-threatening effects when taken with some prescription medications. So, it is better to be careful not to take grapes along with your prescription medicine.
- Once picked from the plant, the grapes will not ripen anymore. But, this does not happen in most fruits as they ripen even after they are cut from the plant.
Similar to these facts, there are many unknown and surprising facts about fruits.